Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Salty Ice Cream is Yucky

I had a wonderful visit with my favorite grandchildren for nine days while their parents were in Hawaii. Dan attended classes offered by the American Dental Association and Jamie had a well deserved break from motherhood. We stayed busy one afternoon by making our own ice cream. What was I thinking? We poured Half and Half, sugar and vanilla in a sandwich size ziplock bag, put the bag in a gallon ziplock and added ice and rock salt. Then we began to squeeze our bags. When her hands got tired, Annika used her feet to mix her bag of ingredients.
Justin was more interested in taking pictures than making ice cream. "Say cheese, Grandma".

Justin opened both his sandwich bag and gallon bag. Ice cream ingredients combined with ice and salt. The whole mixture began to drip everywhere. It became apparent that Justin and I would be sharing my bag and I continued to squeeze. Justin adjusted the lights around the deck.



When our ice cream reached the right consistency, we grabbed our spoons, opened the bags and started eating. Annika's ice cream was perfect. Justin and Grandma's ice cream had problems. Somehow the inner and outer bags had mixed again and our dessert was very salty. Thank goodness Annika was willing to share. The next morning, while Annika was at preschool, Justin and I went to King Sooper's and bought some ready made Blueberry Granola Crunch Frozen yogurt. It was much easier and tasted better!

3 comments:

Jamie Lamb said...

As we were driving home from preschool today Justin said, "let's go get grandma at the airport". They sure miss you! Thanks for taking good care of them.

Anonymous said...

You are the most funnest grandma in the world. I only hope to be like you someday!!!

Tiffany Anderson said...

What cuties, and so lucky to have such an awesome grandma.